Packed full of flavour and easy to make, this Chinese pork dumplings recipe created by Prue Leith in partnership with Lakeland, is a great way to try this traditional Chinese dish and a perfect way to celebrate the Chinese New Year
For the dipping sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 small pinch of chilli flakes
For the filling
- 140g Chinese cabbage leaves, shredded and finely chopped
- 4cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 225g minced pork
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine or sherry
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ small red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
- ½ tsp salt
To make the dumplings
- 28 wonton or gyoza wrappers (available at Asian supermarkets – fresh if possible)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp water
- Place all of the dipping sauce ingredients into a bowl, mix together, then cover and set aside.
- To make the filling, place all of the ingredients in a bowl, mix together, then chill.
- Shape the wrappers using the cutter included with the Dumpling Press, place on to a tray and cover with a clean, damp cloth.
- Place a wrapper in the Dumpling Press. Fill with 1 tbsp of the filling mix, moisten the edges of the wrap with a little water and close the dumpling press to seal. Remove the dumpling and place back under the damp cloth. Repeat with all of the wrappers.
- Fry half of the dumplings in 1 tablespoon of oil in a hot frying pan for 2 minutes, or until golden on the bottom. Add 3 tbsp of water to the pan and cover with a tight-fitting lid to steam-cook for 2 minutes. Remove the dumplings and keep warm.
- Clean the pan and repeat step 5 with the remaining dumplings.
- Serve warm – brown side up – with the dipping sauce.
This stainless-steel dumpling press and cutter from the Prue’s World range at Lakeland makes creating authentic dim sum and gyoza easier. It has corrugated edges so you don’t even have to crimp your own dumplings, plus the easy-to-use press comes with a cutter that trims pastry to fit, so you can impress your friends and family without any of the mess.