Thursday, April 18, 2024
Buyers’ Guide – Insurance

Buyers’ Guide – Insurance


You must have buildings insurance in place for when you exchange contracts (not complete). This will be a condition of your mortgage offer.

Looking at an insurance document

Top Tips For Insurance

  • Many home contents insurance policies will cover you for your move, however it is best to double-check your existing policy to see whether you’re protected when you come to move into your new home.
  • Your current home insurance policy won’t automatically cover you at your new address, but you can often ask to transfer it over.
  • Be aware though: if you choose to transfer your existing home insurance policy to a new property, your premium will usually change in price, and you’ll have to pay an admin charge too.
  • This is because there are a number of factors that affect the price of your policy, including (but not limited to) the area’s crime rate, the value of the property, and any flood risk. Plus, if you get any new furniture or electrical goods for your new home.

Relevant Articles


The process of buying a shared ownership home – from beginning to end

Specialist, shared ownership solicitors, Holmes & Hills have put together this first time buyer guide exclusively for  the readers of First Time Buyer magazine We understand that...

Understanding the Conveyancing Process for Staircasing and Resales in Shared Ownership

The conveyancing process

Sign Up For First Time Buyer Newsletter

Sign up for the free First Time Buyer newsletter and be the first to hear about offers and information exclusively for first time buyers.

Your email address will never be shared with third parties