It is so important to eat healthily, but food should be delicious as well as nutritious. This tasty recipe for courgette and cannellini bean lasagne is taken from Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley’s cookbook, Good + Simple and proves how healthy eating doesn’t have to be complicated
COURGETTE AND CANNELLINI BEAN LASAGNE
Ingredients (Serves 4)
3 large courgettes
For the béchemal sauce
80g Parmesan or pecorino, finely grated, plus extra
For the tomato sauce
1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 garlic cloves
120g sundried tomatoes (about 20 pieces) in oil, drained
3 tablespoons tomato purée
A pinch of sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add the ingredients for the béchamel sauce to a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the ingredients for the tomato sauce to the food processor (no need to clean out the bowl) and blend until smooth.
- Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, finely slice the courgettes lengthways into 3mm-thick pieces.
- Preheat the oven to fan 180°C/gas mark 6. Spread about half the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 16cm x 22cm ovenproof dish, which is at least 8cm deep, as a thin layer. Top with about a third of the courgette slices in an even layer.
- Cover the courgettes with about half the béchamel sauce, then top with half the remaining courgettes in an even layer.
- Repeat the layering with the remaining tomato sauce, courgettes and béchamel sauce, then sprinkle over a final layer of parmesan to finish.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for five to10 minutes before serving.